In addition to the wonderful stretch of beach with great surf, lots of beach umbrellas and gorgeous people to watch we have a lot to talk about Ipanema.
Attention: The currents are deceptively strong and the water is normally cold.
The postos (posts) along sidewalk subdivide the beach into areas as diverse as the city itself:
- Surfers enjoy the beach on the left, Arpoador area.
- The GLS prefer to stay around Farme de Amoedo street.
During summer weekends, go early as it may be hard to find a spot on the sand in Ipanema but keep walking to the right and Leblon is also a beautiful place.
- Posto 9, right off Vinícius de Moraes street, is Garota de Ipanema, which is where Rio’s most lithe and tanned bodies tend to migrate.
- Posto 10, Anibal de Mendonça street, have more locals going to the beach.
- Posto 8 further up is mostly the domain of favela kids.
On the weekends you will always see full of people playing volleyball and futêvoley (soccer + volleyball together) anytime.
Cariocas love their bodies and we are all very healthy so any time during day and night you can see people running on the bicycle path.